Do you scroll on Pinterest daydreaming about your dream house? Are you ready to start going to open houses & looking at listings? Figure out exactly what you want and need in your dream home by making a checklist for yourself.
Once you get pre-approved and know what you can afford, that’s when you know it’s time to start your house hunting. Be sure to know what you like and don’t like before you go into it; if you don’t, your dream home will on stand-by.
When you go to your first open house, sit down after and make a list of your needs and wants. For example, you may want the inground pool, but you can probably do without it. Write down the pros and cons after your first open house. Sometimes you might have to make compromises along the way.
Utilize these tips below to help you within your journey of finding your dream home:
Know Your Finances
Get your finances figured out before you start searching for a home. Determine a budget because this can help you see what your must-haves are.
- See if you can get pre-approved for a mortgage.
- Figure out your price range.
- How much do you have saved for a down payment?
- Decide if you want to do extra renovations or not.
Keep in Mind Your Current Lifestyle & Plan for Your Future
Consider your basic needs and non-negotiables in a home. Ask yourself what your favorite things are about your home that you’re in now. What would you want to change? Keep in mind:
- Do you need space for a car or are you fine with street parking?
- Do your pets need a fenced-in yard?
- Are you planning on changing jobs in the next couple of years?
Choose a Location
Be sure to consider the surroundings of the home you’re looking at and make sure that you’re okay with the location. Ask yourself:
- Do I prefer urban, suburban, or rural?
- Can you sleep easily with traffic noise?
- Do you want easy access to highways or public transportations?
Document Your Visit
When it’s finally time to take a home tour, see if it fits your checklist and figure out if you need or want to re-evaluate anything. Get a feel for the home and consider anything you may have left off your list. You can change things like paint, but you can’t change everything. Here is what you can’t change as easy:
- If you need more space.
- The curb appeal of the home.
Once you know what you’re looking for in a home, everything else will fall into place. Have a great time house hunting!